Friday, September 28, 2012

Thought of the day - preparedness

Something that has garnered quite a bit of attention lately is disaster preparedness and "prepping". This a subject of great interest to me and if those of you reading this would oblige me, I'd like to use my little slice of the Internet here to give a little advice and hopefully get you to thinking about whether or not you and your loved ones would be prepared in the event of a calamity striking.

One caveat that I'd like to get out of the way is that I am not an expert nor do I claim to be. I have done a lot of research on the varied aspects of prepping and if I don't know an answer, hopefully I can find the right answer and/or point my readers in the right direction. There is a wealth of information on the Internet about disaster preparedness and together we should be able to weed through all of the disinformation and armchair Rambos to get to the useful tips and strategies.
On a lighter note: I have been called a wingnut but some of my friends because I have a keen interest in prepping. At first I took it as an insult until I was told, "you're not quite a nutjob, just a wingnut...." So I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm also don't want to spend too much time considering those events that are sensational and fairly unlikely (unless you believe the tinfoil hat types). These events include: CME/EMP events, total collapse of society/rule of law, or the dreaded zombie apocalypse. While each of these might happen, we are all going to need much more than what I can provide here on my little blog. Sure, we'll touch on some these events and a lot of strategies and tips can be applied to all sorts of disasters - but is like to focus (at least initially) on the smaller disasters that we are all susceptible to.
Can anyone honestly say that they do not live in an area where a natural disaster may strike? Wildfire, flood, ice/snow storms, hurricanes and tornadoes are just some of the natural disasters that can cause a person to be without basic services and on their own for a significant amount of time. Also, there can be disasters that are more personal in nature that can cause a disruption in our daily lives. How would the loss of your job affect your ability to provide the basic needs of you and your loved ones?

The good thing is that thew are many things we can do to prepare for these events so our lives can be somewhat normal if we ever find ourselves in one these unfortunate circumstances. There is also a wealth of knowledge found on the websites I've provided links to here on my blog. My hope is that by spreading a little bit of knowledge form what I have learned so far that we can all be a little more prepared. I'd also like to hear from you for any tips and suggestions on each of the topics I hope to cover.

HH

No comments:

Post a Comment