Sunday, November 4, 2012

deer season - the most wonderful time of the year

It's finally here - deer season.

This weekend was the opening weekend of the general deer season here in Texas and although I didn't get to hunt, I was able to do a little scouting.

I don't get to hunt as much as I did in the past, but every year about this time the excitement and anticipation grows. I'm not sure if it's a guy thing, some genetic wiring, or a product of the culture I was raised in; but deer season is special to me. It's like Halloween, Thanksgiving, and my birthday all rolled into one awesome event.

I should also note that it was just about a year ago when I started writing poetry. And what was the subject of many (if not all) of my first dozen or so poems? That's right - deer season. I suppose I was looking for a way to capture the emotions and sensations of a treasured part of my life. Plus, it helps to have a lot of quiet time on a stand or ins blind to write. It's amazing how much thinking a person can do in 4-6 hours all alone in the woods.
I'll try to post another deer season inspired poem tomorrow.

Anyway, is like to say good luck to all my fellow hunters heading to the woods and congratulations to all of those who have already filled their tags and their freezers.

Keep your powder dry, your knives sharp, and be safe out there.
HH

2 comments:

  1. Went to the old homestead yesterday. Was reminded of those years you wrote about here. Whatever triggers these delightful sensations and causes excitement to build this time of year is delightful, and another element to be thankful for, and cherished. Miss you this year......guess I'll have to whack a big buck in your honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't whack it with your car...

      Delete