Monday, July 1, 2013

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the Granite Mountain hotshots

Here's a few poems fellow firefighters have posted on FB.

The sky has turned to an amber, orange glow
Smoke fills my lungs, as I pray to God from below
This hits our crew tremendously quick
The flames draw closer, dancing thick.
Last resort, I can only stay in my shelter
Gasps of despair, the heat left to swelter.
I know that I don't have much time
I risked my life that June
Me, and my crew on the fire line

But do not shed a tear for me
I went into this to ensure you would be freed.

-WR Berry 7/1/13

Into the bowels of Hell they went. No thought for themselves that day was spent.
Hoping to save some from losing all, they faced those flames while standing tall
Against harsh heat and winds strong, soon they knew and heard death's song.
With one last prayer to beat the heat, they covered themselves with a foil sheet
But on it came, that monstrous fire, and turned each tent to funeral pyre.
Into the bowels of Hell they went. No thought for themselves that day was spent.

By Renee Aun

No comments:

Post a Comment