Monday, August 31, 2015

johnboat ride through my head

As I sit here with time for quiet reflection, I'm trying to come up with some profound idea or interesting 'thing' to write about.....  No luck. I've got nothing.

So, with that being said: everyone hop aboard this johnboat as we slip down the stream of consciousness rambling incoherentness.

Scrolling through my Twitter feed, I saw a link to an article from some paper (WSJ or The Guardian, I think) comparing Donald Trump to Hugo Chavez. No,  I didn't follow the link but the comparison seemed to have some merit on the surface. I thought about posting a short essay about Trump and his army of "Trumpsters"; about how I  found it all amusing especially since I have divorced myself from the political process. But then I thought better of it because that just sounded too condescending and frankly it is. I'm no better than your average Trumpster and I'm in no place to lecture another about how their energy seems to me to be misguided.

It does seem to me that these folks are letting emotion take the lead rather than rational thought. I'm not saying this in an attempt to say those that strongly support Trump aren't intelligent or less intelligent than others, but in reading various articles and blogs (esp. the comments) It just seems that most of the supporters have some sort of emotional blinders on. I'm not saying this is a bad thing or a good thing, just making an observation. Today's Trump supporter seems very similar to an Obama supporter eight years ago. I admit that I was caught up in the "hope and change" bit and voted for President Obama in 2008. I still think it was a better choice than the other guy...

So we have emotion vs reason. The heart vs the mind. (Interesting tidbit here: in biblical times, the heart was where thinking was said to come from while emotions and feelings came from the bowels or "gut". Ok, don't quote me on that last part but I'm pretty sure it's true. I'll fact check it and update this post if I find out otherwise.) We see this in all sort of areas in our life: politics, religion, sports. I'm pretty sure I would have a much better record picking bowl game winners and basketball brackets if I could eliminate emotion from my picks. But there's no way I'm picking Duke, A&M, or KU to win anything...

We see it in our churches and "churches"  as well. People get up before congregations all over and use emotion and feeling to preach while leaving out the teaching and admonishing parts. Some of these people are doing so not from a place of malice or evil, but simply because they don't know any better. Others do it for reasons that are sinsiter at best... I'm not saying that a church service should be emotionless and boring, but it also shouldn't be a feel-good rock concert either.

So what's the solution? How do we make the right decision when choosing a president, a church, or a RB for our fantasy football team? The one thing that keeps popping up in my head is, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth." (2 Tim 2:15) We should be like the Bereans who studied the Scriptures to test and see if what Paul was teaching them was correct.

(Isn't it funny how all of life's answers are in one place? It's sort of like there is something bigger than all of us going on...)

I believe we can use this same basic theory to politics, fantasy football, just about anything. It IS hard and definitely not the easy way out. Emotion is the easier path to follow but in a lot of cases it leads to disastrous results, whether in elections or my March Madness brackets. Take the time, do your homework, study all of the options/angles, make the right decision. Listen to your gut but don't let it lead your decision-making process.

Well,  I hope you enjoyed the ride around inside my head. I wouldn't blame you if you jumped out somewhere and made for the bank. I do it quite often.

God bless and keep your powder dry.
HH

No comments:

Post a Comment