Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Which country are we working towards?

This is my second week in the book of Hebrews for my daily Bible study. There is so much that I am honestly a little overwhelmed. As I was reading through the second half of the book last night, I came across this section in Chapter 11

13All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. 15And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them. 
Hebrews 11:13-16 NASB

Chapter 11 deals with faith and gives us many examples of faith throughout the Old Testament, from Abel through the prophets. This particular paragraph speaks to those who died without receiving their gift or reaching the country they were trying to find. 

This led me to think about our current election cycle and the zeal expressed by Christians throughout this country in support of one candidate or the other. I'll be quite honest, I'm blown away by some of the things I've seen and read of various blogs and news sites. I'm all for participating in the election process, but this country in which we live is not our country. We should be following the example of those Old Testament folks described in Hebrews 11 - desiring a heavenly country, not one here in this sinful world. 

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be concerned with the state of our country and try to make it a better place, but a lot of Christians seem to devote so much time and energy to politics and other similar endeavors that the good ol' USA has become an idol. 

Go out and vote, but let's remember where our country is supposed to be. 

Have the same passion for the Jesus as for Candidate X or Candidate Y. 

Instead of ridiculing supporters of "the other guy" and arguing with them, work towards leading others to Christ.

Spend the time on studying the Word rather than reading political blogs and news sites. (I'm speaking to myself here. I spend way too much time doing one when I should be doing the other...) 

Bottom line is that we should strive towards our heavenly country and not spend as much time making this one we live in temporarily the higher priority. 

God bless. 
HH

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, HH! Thank you for the timely wisdom.

    ReplyDelete